Thanks for visiting

This blog is created for friends and family to follow the journey of Jackson as he under goes surgery to correct his little heart. This site will be updated frequently over the next few months to make sure that loved ones are updated on Jackson's health and recovery. Please take time to read Jed and January's story as they go through this difficult season. Support our dear friends by leaving a comment of encouragement (at the bottom of each entry click on the word "comments"), passing on the blog to others, and praying daily for little Jackson's heart.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The day our son was born...


Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.
- Elizabeth Stone

Some of God's greatest blessings come to us through great trial and difficulty. Jackson Jedidiah was to be no different. I remember the pure shock when January told me the results of the pregnancy test. The world suddenly took a turn for the surreal. Then morning sickness came, except it unfortunately didn't stay in the morning where it belonged, lingering through the day and night. Poor January was so wracked with nausea through those first few months. I am surprised she could keep anything down at all.

What seemed like an eternity, finally the coming of Jackson's birth arrived. Since January was a week past her due date, our doctor decided to induce labor. Surprisingly, though, when we arrived at the hospital she was in the beginning stages of labor. For the next twenty-five and half hours January and I were in her room as she endured the roller-coaster ride of the first few phases of labor. When the final phase started at around 5:30 in the evening on January 31st, I was drawn into one of life's most profound experiences - the birth of my son. Now I can only speak from a father's perspective, but there was a transcendent beauty in Jackson's birth. With my own eyes I saw the incredible strength and capacity to endure that God gave my wife. In the stress of that moment, she was a vision of beauty as radiant as when she walked down the aisle to be my bride. January's mom, Sue, and I were by her side for three hours as January pushed and pushed my large-headed boy into this world. The little guy's head was so big in fact that he needed a little tug from the doctor to get out.

When Jackson came out into this world at 8:30 that evening, weighing 7 pounds and 11 ounces, time stood still it seemed. I watched his little eyes open one at a time as he took in the outside world for the first time. His first cry was so soft, alarmingly almost. The gentleness of that cry still rings in my ears when I think of it. Maybe because I figured that any son of mine would come out with a deep growl and a six pack of beer. Not Jackson, though, from the moment he was born I was struck by his gentleness, his attentiveness, his own unique unmistakable beauty. While January, in the fog that women feel immediately after labor, was recovering and the medical staff had cleaned and measured Jackson, I was with him as he laid on the table. He cried briefly, only for a few seconds a couple of times, but what was amazing is how intently he took in everything that was around him. His eyes were the deep kind of blue that you see in the sky moments before night falls. I remember how he held me in his stare, and how now, in a uniquely visceral way, I had some small category for how our Heavenly Father loves His son - without forethought or hesitation or restraint.

Once Jackson was swaddled, I brought him over to January and I saw, almost from outside of myself, what we were. No longer were January and I merely a husband and wife, with Jackson we became a family. Our own family set to live out our lives beneath the loving gaze of God. We spent the rest of that night getting what little rest we could and bonding with our son. Thankful beyond measure that God in his unfathomable grace had entrusted to us such a wonderful gift.

7 comments:

Lori said...

Jed... WOW! Your description of Jackson's birth was touching. May God continue to bless all of you.

Augustus Rex said...

"I believe like a child that suffering will be healed and made up for, that all the humiliating absurdity of human contradictions will vanish like a pitiful mirage, like the despicable fabrication of the impotent and infinitely small Euclidian mind of man, that in the world's finale, at the moment of eternal harmony, something so precious will come to pass that it will suffice for all hearts, for the comforting of all resentments, for the atonement of all the crimes of humanity, of all the blood they've shed; that it will make it not only possible to forgive but to justify all that has happened." Fyodor Dostoevsky

I believe with you both that God hears your groans and in the blazing light of eternity this, as Dostoevsky said, will be healed and made up for. Anjuli and I bless you both in the name of Jesus

Anonymous said...

what a handsome little man Jackson is, and soo lucky to have so many that love him. I will be thinking & praying for your family as this difficult time approaches, please know I am here for you if you need ANYTHING! Love you all-

Caryn said...

So touching. January, I am thinking about you and your husband, and family...but most importantly, your gorgeous little boy!! I will be praying for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. God Bless!!

xoxo
Caryn Malak
malakx5@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Jed and January: I am weeping as I write this, so impacted was I from your blog. I have known Jed's parents from EFCC, and was praying for Jackson. but after reading this blog, I feel like I can pray so much more effectively for him as well as you both. I am a pediatric nurse, and I understand well the implications of TOF. Your surgeon is one of the very best! Keep resting in God's grace and mercy. Lynne Bechard

Anonymous said...

My mom and I just read the entire website. Wow, Jackson is very lucky to have so much love surround him daily. We will be thinking of both of you and most importantly Little Jackson. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. You have a beautiful baby boy!
Love Nicole & Maria Seeley

Anonymous said...

January and family
My thoughts and prayers are with you as I just gave birth to my own Donnie lee, he is 8 weeks old and i cannot imagine the worry you must be going through, the words that you describe are so real but could not touch the pain you must feel, i pray that all will be ok as i could not handle the devistation in my own life right now with something like this. Pleas know that even though we are not close and we have not seen eachother in a very long time my heart and tears go out to you and your family.
All my love
Heidi